Frequently Asked Questions
- The Event
- What is the equivalent of my challenge in pool lengths?
KM Miles Lengths (25m pool) 5 3.1 200 2.5 1.6 100 1.5 0.9 60
- What are the rules?
Click here to view the Swimathon rules.
- Can I get any training advice?
It is very important to train before taking part in any sporting event. Please visit the training pages for further information.
- Where is Swimathon held?
Swimathon 2015 will be held in over 600 pools across the UK over one weekend: 17-19 April.
If your local pool is not taking part, you can enter SimplySwim. Held between the 9-19 April, SimplySwim lets you choose your pool and raise money for a challenge the whole family can get involved with.
- What challenges are available?
Swimathon 2015 is designed to suit all levels of fitness, ability and age…
- 1.5km. A great target for the novice swimmer to aim for. If you fancy working your way up to 60 lengths of a 25m pool whilst raising some much needed fundraising cash then this is the challenge for you!
- 2.5km. If you’re looking to go to great lengths to get sponsored, then 100 lengths of a 25m pool is for you. Get ready to make some fundraising waves!
- 5km. Not for the faint hearted! This is the longest distance challenge for the serious swimmers out there. Expect lots of sponsors because completing 5km will leave everyone, including you, breathless.
- SimplySwim lets you choose your own pool and raise money for a challenge the whole family can get involved with.
- 1.5km. Take on 60 lengths of a 25m pool as part of a team with your friends and family. Tell everyone you know and then watch your sponsorship total come along swimmingly.
- 5km. Round up your water-loving friends and take on the ultimate distance together. Then lap up the sponsorship money and the glory of completing your challenge.
- How do I know what speed to register myself/team under?
- Here's a rough guide to help when entering your Swimathon speed...
1.5hrs+ 1hr sub 30mins 2.5km
2.5hrs+ 2hrs sub 1.5hrs
- Will I receive a medal?
All swimmers will receive a medal for completing their challenge. Those taking part in an organised Swimathon session will receive their medal immediately after their swim. Those taking part in SimplySwim will be sent a medal via post.
- Is there an age limit?
Swimathon welcomes all ages and abilities!* It doesn't matter if you can swim one length or two hundred, Swimathon has the challenge for you!
* Under-16s must be entered and accompanied by an adult.
*Under- 8s are not able to take part in Swimathon at the London Aquatics Centre
- How long will I have to complete my swim?
- Participants and teams will have 3 hours to complete their swim no matter what distance they have signed up for. Please liaise with the pool you have registered with if you have any queries around completing your swim under the 3 hour time slot.
- Will I receive a certificate?
All swimmers will be able to download their personal certificates from their Swimmer Login after the event.
- If I do not want to swim, can I still get involved?
The great thing about Swimathon is that you don't even have to get wet to get involved!
Many pools require volunteers to log laps and cheer, support and encourage their swimmers. If you know someone who's swimming, get in contact with their pool and volunteer your services!
- How much does it cost to register?
Entry Type* Standard Entry Fee Concession** Individual 1.5k £12 £9 Individual 2.5k £12 £9 Individual 5k £12 £9 Team 1.5k £26 £19.50 Team 5k £26 £19.50
* Applies to Distance Challenges and SimplySwim
** Denotes concessionary price for unemployed, under 16s, disabled, full-time students and senior citizens aged 60 years and above. For team concessions, the majority (over half) must fall into one of these categories to qualify for the concessionary price. Teams are not separated into age specific categories.
- How do I register?
Click here to enter Swimathon 2015. You will be directed to the Swimathon website, where our online registration form should only take you 10 minutes.
- When does registration close?
Swimmer registration for Swimathon 2015 closes at 11:59pm on Wednesday 15th April.
- Which credit/debit cards do you accept?
Swimathon accepts Mastercard, Maestro/Switch, Visa and Visa Debit.
- I can't attend any of the sessions at my local pool...
You can still take on one of the specified distances with SimplySwim! SimplySwim allows you to swim one of the set distances at any location of your choice between 9th and 19th April *. Choose this option at the bottom of this page if you are unable to attend an organised Swimathon session. This challenge must be completed in one session.
* Please note if you enter under SimplySwim the leisure centre you wish to swim at may charge you to enter the pool.
- I'd like to swim more than once over different days...
- You are more than welcome to swim in as many organised Swimathon sessions as you wish over the event weekend. For each place that you require, you will need to create a new registration, paying the entry fee for each place. We then suggest that you only use one of your fundraising pages when sending your link out for sponsorship. You can mention in your 'personal message' that you are taking on more than one challenge.
- I can no longer take part in the event. Will I get my money back?
The entry fee for Swimathon 2015 is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Can I change from an individual to a team registration and vice versa?
As stated in the Terms and Conditions, if you have registered as an individual entry, it is not possible to change this to a team entry. You will need to re-register as a team and contact Swimathon to cancel your individual entry. If you have registered as a team entry, it is not possible to change this to an individual entry. You will need to re-register as an individual and contact the Swimathon team to cancel your team entry. A refund will not be given for your first entry.
- I'd like to enter my pool to Swimathon 2016...
Swimathon 2016 pool recruitment is now open! To register your pool for 2016 please click here. Alternatively, if you would like to promote SimplySwim challenge at your pool (which may help boost visits to your centre), then please contact the Swimathon team to request posters.
You are likely to find the answer to your question in our FAQs. If the answer is not there, please contact us by:
Phone: 0845 36 700 36
Post: Swimathon, PO Box 4500, London W1A 7LF
Please note, office hours are from 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.